Samsung firmware naming convention and explanation - ChimeraTool help

NotificationsTurn on notifications to get up-to-date application version information!Subscribe!  No thanks

Search for...

Samsung firmware naming convention and explanation

This document created at Sep 14, 2016, 2:57:05 PM and modified at Feb 25, 2021, 3:18:47 PM.

You can check whether your device's modem is compatible with this procedure or not. Please make sure to check it as the first step.

Our quick unlock procedure is working only on those phones which modems have been released before October 2014.

To know what are your phone *ware versions, type on the phone keypad (if you want them to work on GoDialer or any software that sits on top of the phone keypad, you need to add "*#" without the quotes before the code and "*#*" without the quotes again after):

  • Firmware ver: *#1234#
  • S/W ver: *#1111#
  • H/W ver: *#2222#

A code to test all your phone capabilities (screen, sound, sensors, ...):*#0*#

After typing the firmware version code and you reach the screen, you will get 3 different kinds of information. As an example, my phone shows:

  •     PDA: N7000XXKKA
  •     PHONE: N7000XXKK5
  •     CSC: N7000OXAKK9

A bit more details about the concepts:

  •     PDA - The operating system with its programs and settings included.
  •     PHONE - The modem firmware file, parts of which are required to access the hardware.
  •     CSC (Consumer software customisation) - The regional settings applied which may install additional programs as well as provider-specific settings (APN).

PDA AND PHONE CODE MEANING:
What does N7000XXKKA mean?
N7000(=model)XX(=Region)K(=Year)K(=Month)A(=Revision)

What are BIT numbers and how can you find them?

Bit versions are modem versions, which can be different for every firmware. Our team works on adding newer BIT versions for all models with our new updates. BIT versions are cannot be downgraded however you can flash a firmware which has the same or higher BIT number as your current one.

To check the BIT version of your phone, you have to go to Settings, then About Phone and Software Version. In the software version you will find the BIT version as well.

Let's take an SM-A102U as an example: A102USQU4ASK7

A breakdown of a firmware:

A102U (Model number) ASQU4 (Version and security BIT) ASK7 (Date of release and revision).

For us, the BIT number is important because that will determine determine whether the procedure can be done successfully. Usually the BIT version is the 5th caracter starting from the right. If you cound find the BIT number successfully you can search for the modem version in the table below. If the the BIT version is equal or lower than your BIT version the procedure can be done with ChimeraTool.

Now that you know what model you have, here is the complementary information provided by Samsung:

REGION CODES:

BD - Cyprus, Greece
CP - Finland
DB - Vietnam
DC - Thailand
DD - India
DT - Australia
DX - Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam
DZ - Malaysia, Singapore
JA - South Africa
JC - Algeria, Morocco, Nigeria, South Africa, Tunisia
JP - Arabic
JR - Arabic
JV - Algeria, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Morocco, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey
MT - Switzerland
XA - Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Switzerland, United Kingdom
XB - Denmark, Norway, Sweden
XC - Portugal, Spain
XD - Croatia, Czech, Hungary, Slovakia
XE - Bulgaria, Estonia, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Russia, Ukraine
XF - Bulgaria, Croatia, Romania
XW - France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom
XX - Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom
ZC - China, Hong Kong
ZH - Hong Kong
ZT - Taiwan

YEAR CODES:

A - 2001
B - 2002
C - 2003
D - 2004
E - 2005
F - 2006
G - 2007
H - 2008
I - 2009
J - 2010
K - 2011
L - 2012
M - 2013
N - 2014
O - 2015

MONTH CODES:

A - January
B - February
C - March
D - April
E - May
F - June
G - July
H - August
I - September
J - October
K - November
L - December

REVISION CODES:

1 = 1
2 = 2
3 = 3
...

A = 10
B = 11
C = 12
...

SC CODE MEANING:

For CSC, you might've noticed a different scheme: between the phone model and the release code there are not 2 letters but rather 3, in my case "OXA". This is simply a code explaining from which country and which operator this phone is classified. OXA is supposed to be O2 UK, and I'm using it for SFR France (code should be SFR).

As a conclusion, this is not harmful to your phone to have a different CSC code than the one you are supposed to use. But if you would like to properly change it anyway, you can do it using the code *#272*# (if you don't have it, your phone IMEI can be obtained using the code *#06#). Her the CSC menu is displayed and shows your current CSC and a list to change your phone's CSC.

If you can't find your country code in the list, just choose the X?? version (for France it is XEF), this is for retail code (i.e. not operator branded). But be careful, if you apply a new CSC, it is also a phone factory reset (all your data and settings will be lost).

PS:

Often, SGN users are wondering if using KK1 kernel on a KJ4 ROM or a KKA on a KJ1 will brick their phone. I think people are mislead by Samsung revision numbers more than the real technology behind the letters and numbers. As far as I have seen, ALL ROM kernels are based on 2.6.35.7 or 2.6.35.14 (which includes very very insignificant changes to the Kernel structure, i.e. mainly bugfixes) which would mean that applying kernel on ROM has something like a 99% chance to work perfectly fine and a 1% chance to end in a bootloop which can be avoided by flushing the cache and the dalvik cache.

I hope this article gives you a full knowledge about the Samsung Firmware questions.

If you still have any questions left, please contact our support team and ask for their help.

This article refers to http://forum.xda-developers.com/.

Martview forum

Martview is not our official forum but it can bring help to all our customers, since the questions asked are answered by professionally relevant users and administrators there.

Open forum

ClanGSM forum

ClanGSM is not our official forum but it can bring help to all our Spanish-speaking customers, since the questions asked are answered by professionally relevant users and administrators there.

Open forum

GSMHosting forum

This is our official English-language forum. We recommend it for all of our users, because many problems and errors have been described and answered here over the years.

Open forum